Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Our  Models

Virgin Atlantic Challenger I

Everyone was disappointed when the news broke that Virgin Atlantic Challenger I had hit an underwater obstruction and sunk, just a few miles short of the record. [Read more...]

 


Virgin Atlantic Challenger II

Inspired by Mr Richard Branson crossing the Atlantic in record time, we thought it would be nice to have a model of the Virgin Atlantic Challenger II. [Read More...]

 

H.M.S. Norfolk.

F230 Duke

Class Frigate.

A world record holder.

[Read More...]

 

MTB488

Motor Torpedo Boat  [Read More...]

 

H.M.S. Norfolk - Motors.

I had bought two very expensive German 12 volt motors some time ago, which would rev to about 1900 rpm and draw approximate 2 amps each when flat out.
They were sealed motors and had heavy main bearings in them with a 5/16" inch shaft. Before we tackled the shafts in we had to line up the motors, so I used Prestwich Model Boats, IC Engine Rubber connectors as these would take out any vibrations that would be transmitted through the hull.
This turned out to be a real sod! To do and it was to take a great deal longer to do the lining up. In the end we cracked it and got the shafts in using a solid plain aluminium connector with the correct holes drilled and tapped in them. They were made for us by one of our friends.

The type of motors I bought were PM10c 24 volt DC 4000 rpm. These realy looked the buisness as they were robust and heavy with sealed ball bearings front and back. I had to have filters for each motor and these cost an arm and a leg to buy.
These motors have 5/16" shafts and this presented me with a problem, I had found that the rubber type couplings did work as well with these motors, so I looked online for a firm that may have industrial connectors. I found RC spares a huge company with many thousands of items. Scrolling through the pages for connectors, I found these superb plastic connectors with 3/8" shaft holes, so I bought 5/16"" aluminium inserts.

The Prestwich rubber couplings we used. Also the bouyancy foam over the shafts.The Prestwich rubber couplings we used. Also the bouyancy foam over the shafts.

The New Parvalux Electric MotorsThe New Parvalux Electric Motors

Electric Motor Mounts

 

I decided that these electric motors would have to supported in a strong way.
So I designed this aluminium bracket to attach the electric motors too.
Originally I installed smaller rubber mounts but found that the motors used to ground out on the bottom of the hull, so I searched around and came up theses heavy duty rubber mounts and these seem to have done the trick.
As you can see I have enlarged the bolt holes so that it made easier to get the correct angle of the motors to the shafts.

Motor Mounts Type No. 1

That day I started to make the motor mounts from 6mm aluminium plate. These I shaped to fit each side of the hull and mounted them on to the electric motors with stainless steel countersink cap headed bolts. The next job was going to be very difficult to do as the motors had to be mounted at a angle on the main bulkhead, so I decided to make up thin wedges of hardwood and then bolt them on the aluminium back plates.